Thursday, June 05, 2008

New hobby!

I am officially addicted to scanning! Many, many years ago my Dad had purchased an attachment for his already amazing scanner to scan negatives and film. At one time both my parents where huge consumers of slides, which being a negative film have become a real fascination for me. I feel like it unlocks a piece of history that either I saw way too long ago to remember or that I've never actually seen. For example this image of my Grandfather with one of his horses, which I had never seen was taken on his farm in 1972. It is now a digital image that I can reprint or archive at will. One of my major ambitions is to scan all of my Mum's slides from her travels to New Zealand and Hawaii, but they seem to be in a "safe place"... I'm sure they will be uncovered sooner rather than later at this point.
This is a picture of my older Sister doing one of the things she does best! I scanned it from negatives of the pictures which were developed originally from normal camera film. Isn't she cute?! :P
This is another one from normal camera film that I scanned. My motivation was that I can keep the original printed picture for the family photo album, but digitally print another copy for my own photo album. This picture was originally taken to show my Grandfather that despite my gender my genetics remained clearly a family camper. The leather strap on my head was part of a tumpline which was supposed to make it easier to carry heavier loads through the deep woods.
In one of the tidyings that is going in the house, my Mum found these black and white negatives from family archives from the early twentieth century. This a longer process because the negatives needed to be inverted. We believe this is a picture of my Great-great grandfather's car and chauffeur in the snow.
Finally, before realizing that my concert on the 14th of June is in need of some attention I found a picture of my Grandmother, my Mum and my Aunt Lorraine at my Mum's undergrad convocation in the 1960's.
I have lots more scanning to do and more negatives to find to do! But at this point my enthusiasm is motivated by my anxiety leading up to a major concert in ten days time. Mark seems to have this amazing ability to remind me that due to how much of my creativity I'm having to focus solely into this concert, it's trying to rebel into as many creative activities as possible. I'm going to pretend that blogging is not one of them ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Crimson Rambler said...

oh darlin', thank you for these. Some of these folks, I know!

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home