Thursday, November 13, 2008

Abbey Road

At the beginning of November I was asked to sing an unofficial audition for the organizer of the Gabrieli Consort. I had no idea what the implications of this auditions would mean! I headed into London on a cold and rainy day to the Bromton Oratory for my audition. I sang a couple of prepared pieces and received some remarkable feedback. This audition means I am on the list of singers for not only the Gabrieli Consort, but for several other groups in and around the UK. After the audition there was mention that a recording was to take place for some video game and he was in the process of organizing events like this. By the time a got back home there was an email waiting for me asking if I would take part in the recording of the soundtrack for Sony PS3's new game KillZone 2 which is to be released in February 2009. How excited was I when I agreed and a few days later got the details and location: Abbey Road, Studio One!!!
There were 30 singers and we recorded all of the material in two hours. We sat in a semi-circle in the middle of the studio with headsets on listening to the pre-recorded orchestral tracks as we sang. This was a very sobering scenario of the reality of the level of professionalism expected in the UK. We were handed the music when we arrived and still managed to do one take wonders while sight reading the material! It was absolutely unbelievable!!
I just did a few searches on YouTube and found several samples from the game in which you can hear the choir. As a disclaimer, I do not condone the playing of games such as KillZone 2, but if it brings in the bacon I am more than willing participate. I look forward to more oportunities such as this one!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home