Tuesday, September 30, 2008

St. Cross, Winchester

On Saturday the 28th Mark and I headed south to Winchester to take part in another choir event. For this concert I joined the ranks of the Cambridge Taverner Choir, conducted by Owen Rees. Before the concert, over the course of three days, we blitzed through 21 hours of rehearsal singing works by Monteverdi, Gabrieli, Lotti, Caldara and Willaert. All of my absolute favorite 16th-17th century composers!!I had orginally developed a love for the genre when I was singing with De Spaera Mundi in Montreal, but have not had enough exposure to the works since 2003. It is my dream to one day sing pieces like the Monteverdi Missa In illo tempore or the Lotti Crucifixus on a weekly, or even daily basis!
The concert was absolutely sold out! Mark had been asked to be a boucer at the door just in case there had been people wanting to storm in to hear us. The church was lit subtly by candles, emphasising the 12th century archetecture that made up our surroundings. I can not wait to sing music like that again!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Crimson Rambler said...

going tomorrow night to hear Emma Kirkby, and Day Taylor, in various early music here...yum!

4:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home