Friday, October 19, 2007

A hurdle

Apparently my closest friend thinks she’s still sixteen. I attempted to make it obvious in my last post, while still being subtle that her actions during what I was going through were inadequate and I was in no state of mind to assist her in her own life problems, nor help her figure out how to help me with mine. Apparently by texting me her frustrations in the middle of a work day, as opposed to calling me or dropping by were to her an appropriate way of finding out where I was and how I was doing. She made it perfectly clear that she felt she had done everything in her power to help me. By phoning me on the 27th saying “I’m too tired to come and see you, but could you just do this for me…” is hardly a means of being a pillar. By not receiving any form of communication from me she took it that I was pushing her away, but became offended to hear that other friends had been in touch. If one is presented with a situation where you can barely get up in the morning to eat breakfast (or lunch for that matter) how is it going to even be in your mental capacity to write an epic email to others no matter how close a friend they are? However if when you turn on your computer and there is a message saying “this is what’s going on in my life, hope you’re doing well, don’t worry if you can’t write back yet” you become more inclined to write them a one liner back and thereby “staying in touch on a semi-regular basis”.
The proverbial nails in this particular situation are of course the removal of the friend from Facebook and sending a text that says “forget I even bothered…” GREAT!! Having an argument at work through text messaging is a solid method of determining the end of a friendship that has lasted 22 years!!
I understand that if you have never been through this or any other kind of intense grief, the perspective is genuinely lost. My best advice would be to talk to other members of your family who have had such a shock, who then might be able to assist you to gain perspective. Until that time, I am not responsibly for chasing you down to make you feel like a better friend. You know my number, my email, my Facebook and many other forms communication.
It makes me sad that such an intense situation has been the breaking point for an otherwise essential relationship in my life. Not exactly what I needed after already going through one of the most heart wrenching moments of my life…

2 Comments:

Blogger Doodlebugz said...

There are times in one's life when you need the support of your friends unconditionally! No matter how you act you need them to be there for you, no matter what. The loss that you (we!) have just suffered is one of those times! It is a time, when as a friend you drop whatever else is going on in your life to support that/those people. Unfortunately not everyone in our lives possesses that kind of maturity.
I love you!
Cute and Fluffy Me xxooxxoo

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, cousin, this is so sad. What an awful time for someone whose support you really need (and deserve) to act this way. I lost my childhood best friend to a similar set of circumstances - she just couldn't see that my sole purpose in life was not to provide an endless stream of affirmation for her, while absorbing nasty little subtle insults from her.

I am thinking about you a great deal!

Love,
Kathleen

10:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home