Sunday, August 31, 2008

Events resume

Since moving to Henley, I have gradually become more active in the local musical community. St. Mary the Virgin is the prominent church in the center of town, with a strong volunteer choir. I attended one rehearsal and a service as a new chorister before the summer vacation started. Mark and I were even eagerly invited to the end of the year BBQ hosted by the vicar and his wife. Apparently the UK has added an eleventh commandment that says: thou shalt not sing choral music outside of term time... Basically none of the choirs I am involved with, including St. Mary's had any events.
This morning, the choir of St. Mary's resumed a week early to celebrate a joint, sung matins service at St. Nicholas, Remenham. Ten choristers, including myself wandered down the road the church and were greeted with a must appreciated pre-rehearsal coffee and breakfast. Despite the pouring, cold rain, it didn't dampen the enthusiasm of all the organizers and participants from both church communities!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a magnificent setting for your voice (and a wedding). I'm sure it won't be long til you are back as a soloist. I'll be there! love Mum

7:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home