Friday, November 28, 2008

Queen Anne's Mentoring

While preparing for the audition I did at the Bromton Oratory I was asked to meet my accompanist who is also the Conductor of the Cathedral Singers of Christ Church Cathedral Oxford and Music Director at Queen Anne's girls school in Caversham at Queen Anne's. We rehearsed in a hall which had been used for some time as an extra storage space and exam room but nothing else. Singing in this room was like singing in chocolate pudding! The accoustics were so live and even almost wild. The rehersal was such a wonderful singing experience that John asked if I would be interested in singing a little concert for some of the music students of the school. The idea being that if a young female professional singer wanted to use the space to sing, more than likely these students would also want to perform for further lunchtime concerts.
I was the first person in living memory to sing a concert in that space! I sang Purcel and Handel to an audience of about 30 students and teachers. After the concert I was able to answer questions that some of the students had. It was a very interesting experience and much like a masterclass for 12-15 year olds. Since I have done a little teaching before I was able to give some general advice like if you are 12 you will not sound like someone 25-30 and this time is a great time to work on technic and stage experience. I am hoping that we can arrange further concerts and even real little master classes to give the girls a completely difference experience. The next concert I am hoping will be Faure chanson and Schubert Lieder.

1 Comments:

Blogger Country Girl said...

Yay! That sounds awesome! No more Charlotte Churches :) xox

12:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home