Sunday, July 05, 2009

Silver bells and cockle shells

Well maybe not that dainty, but I am certainly trying to grow a little garden. Since this apartment has a beautiful back garden area with a patio, I decided to try my hand at growing some tomatoes and herbs.The tomatoes were to be acquired first. I had envisioned planting a plant or two in a largish pot and that was it. On entering the garden centre I was literally greeted by a "Grow Bag" which looked ideal for my experiment. It could grow three to four plants, so Mark and I chose three varieties: Micro, Italian Plum and Ferline. Three or four weeks later, the Ferline and Roma evidently needed to be guided, so another trip to the garden centre was in order. We found suitable, purpose built Grow Bag guides which looked rather spiffy in addition to fertilizer spikes, another Grow Bag, four herbs and three strawberry plants.Since planting the Grow Bags I have been a frequent visitor to the BBC Gardener's World website for tips and suggestions about how to get the most of what has been planted. For instance I knew nothing about "pinching" tomato plants, or that by adding vacuum cleaner lint the tomatoes, they would have a richer flavour.From here on in it is just a battle against black and green aphids, slugs and caterpillars in conjunction with watering and feeding. Hopefully we will get to enjoy at least a couple of tomatoes and strawberries out of the crop that seems to be happily growing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home