Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hidden Treasure

While doing some tidying this weekend of my sock drawer, as one does, I found all sorts of buried treasure such as 1 Euro, a few bobby pins, buttons and, to quote the Cat from Red Dwarf "a shiny thing". This particular shiny thing has a mate and the two have carried on an oscillating separate/joint existence for as long as I can remember. As I was in an inquisitive mind frame I clipped it to my pjs (what else would you be wearing while cleaning out your sock drawer?) and headed to the internet. The only mark on the shiny thing was the patent number on the hinged clasp, so that is where I started my search.
The patent number is 1852188 for a double clip associated with a jewellery company called Coro. Coro was established by Emanuel Cohn and Carl Rosenberger in New York in 1901, and later established business in Toronto. By looking at a few of their pieces I discovered that the two shiny things as a pair make a Duette, which are worn on either fur or dresses. What I did not realize was, put together they can be worn as a broach. I scoured the back of the shiny thing and could not find a makers mark, or a mark where something had been removed, or altered so was uncertain if my shiny things could really be a Duette. I searched the internet for more picture and a came up with a few images of the broach separated from the shiny things and that is when the eureka moment hit me! I have had a strange broach sitting in the bottom of a box for the longest time, which I have had absolutely NO idea what it was for. I almost wore it on occasion because it was so unusual... I went rummaging through said box and found it safely with the other shiny thing.
Wouldn't you know it, they fit like a glove!! I could not believe it! The broach had it's own patent number, which is UK & Canada 410696. I searched the internet and found both marks together in another very similar unmarked Duette piece, which was attributed to Coro. This piece described an ornate floral and scroll design pattern on the clasps, which were also on mine, and dates the Duette in the 20's to 30's.

I cannot believe how stunning it is! All I have to do now is find an appropriate event to wear it for, other than my while sorting out my sock drawer in my pjs...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home