Monday, August 31, 2009

Tennis Tournament

For the first time in nearly ten years I picked up my tennis racket and ventured onto a court! For many years I have wanted to resume playing tennis, since my appetite for the game was whetted with lessons over the course of two summers. So during an evening out, while making new friends, Mark and I were invited to play in a "non-competitive, beginner to expert, friendly tennis match" followed by a BBQ. How could we refuse?!
On arriving on the court, eager to play, I began warming up with another new friend. I don't think a single ball ended up in the court and I certainly could not serve to save my life! After about half an hour of a little refresher course, some of it was beginning to return. Miraculously my serve was my biggest strength! My forehand and backhand remained sketchy at best... I was partnered with a very strong and patient partner. We lost our first game 5-7 to the team that eventually won the tournament. Our second game was personally my favourite given that my returns where getting much more accurate; we won the game 6-4. Our final game was impeded by a left handed player. I blame him entirely for my inability to return his serves! I lost count of the score, but I think we lost 4-6. Regardless, it was an absolutely fantastic experience to be back on a tennis court!
Mark opted out of playing tennis, but was happy to find plenty of soccer players in attendance Unfortunately he chose to wear sandals (displayed in the bottom right of the picture above) and could not play for as long as he might have wanted.
Even with a tiny BBQ everyone was well fed and watered. The rain held off until the end and everyone seemed to linger that long or longer. Post tournament we walked down to the Row Barge aka "the Barley Mow" to celebrate the winners where more friends were made including a Dog-Dog named Jazz!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home